On Nov. 6, U.S. Sen. Edward J. Markey of Massachusetts introduced the Paraprofessionals and Education Support Staff Bill of Rights, which is co-sponsored by Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.
Per a press release from Markey’s office, the resolution calls for:
• Livable, competitive wages and access to benefits, including health care and paid leave
• The supplies, resources and training they need to do their jobs
• Meaningful voice in workplace policies and the right to negotiate for better working conditions
• The dignity of safe, healthy and adequate staffed workplaces
• Year-round job security and opportunities for growth
Among those voicing their support for the Paraprofessionals and Education Support Staff Bill of Rights was AFT President Randi Weingarten. She said the legislation “recognizes the important role these educators play in our schools and in our kids’ lives, and calls for fairer pay, better benefits, workplace safety and access to training that will give these jobs and the folks who do them the respect they deserve.”