New Jersey City University is facing a financial crisis that jeopardizes its existence.
Here are the facts: In June 2022, when NJCU’s board of trustees declared a financial crisis, the university adopted a 90-day interim budget. Three months later, its approved budget for 2023 revealed a $12.67 million operating deficit. Subsequent rightsizing efforts have included a planned streamlining of NJCU’s academic portfolio and athletic programs.
On March 13, 2023, hundreds attended the Fund NJCU Rally on campus inside the Gilligan Student Union Building. AFT President Randi Weingarten (above), AFTNJ President Donna M. Chiera, AFT Local 1839 President Barbara Hildner and New Jersey State AFL-CIO President Charlie Wowkanech spoke at the event, as did several N.J. elected leaders, among them Assemblywoman Angela V. McKnight and Assemblyman William B. Sampson (both from District 31).
Other efforts are forthcoming to push the state to provide NJCU with the necessary economic support so it may continue as a valued minority-serving institution well into its second century.
Stay tuned for details.
What You Can Do Right Now
• Write your state representatives asking them to fund NJCU so it can remain open — CLICK HERE
NJCU IN THE NEWS
• NJ Spotlight News: $25M rescue aid sought for New Jersey City University (May 22, 2023)
• New Jersey Monitor: State watchdog slams New Jersey City University for mismanagement that led to financial crisis (May 18, 2023)
• Jersey Journal / NJ.com: NJCU considering up to 3% tuition hikes to help cover financial deficit (April 21, 2023)
• NJ Spotlight News: Collaborating to turn things around at New Jersey City University (April 17, 2023)
• ROI.com: Labor peace … at New Jersey City University (April 12, 2023)
• Jersey Journal / NJ.com: NJCU president sees a bright future for beleaguered school (April 11, 2023)
• WABC-TV’s “Tiempo”: Interview with NJCU Interim President Andrés Acebo — begins at 12:13 mark (April 2, 2023)
• TAPinto Jersey City: City Council Calls on State to Support New Jersey City University (March 22, 2023)
• NJ.com: NJCU president tells joint legislative committee his school is worth saving (March 16, 2023)
• Jersey Journal / NJ.com: Hundreds rally demanding more state funding for NJCU (March 13, 2023)
• NJ.com: Murphy’s budget address silent on financial lifeline for NJCU, but long-term fiscal plan could change that, source says (Feb. 28, 2023)
• Fund NJCU Rally / March 13, 2023
Speakers and start times: AFT Local 1839 President Barbara Hildner — 4:48 / NJCU SGA President Thyquell Halley — 18:31 / A. Harry Moore PTO President Nicole Brown — 22:55 / NJCU Professor Gloria Boseman — 25:20 / NJCU student Crystal Genthe — 31:10 / Activist Patricia Campos-Medina — 35:22 / Hudson County Commissioner William O’Dea — 41:14 / New Jersey State AFL-CIO President Charlie Wowkanech — 46:15 / NJCU student Gerald Thomas — 49:47 / Assemblywoman Angela McKnight — 54:05 / Assemblyman William Sampson — 57:30 / Assemblyman Raj Mukherji — 1:01:07 / Councilman James Solomon — 1:08:10 / Hudson County Building Trade Council VP Todd Huer — 1:11:11 / NJCU Interim President Andres Acebo — 1:12:44 / AFTNJ President Donna M. Chiera — 1:19:40 / AFT President Randi Weingarten — 1:25:10